Saturday, 17 October 2015

A garden visit - and walking the labyrinth

This week a group of us from Beelarong Community Farm visited horticulturist Linda Brennan's home Ecobotanica.  Linda and her husband moved onto a bushland block on the outskirts of Brisbane   two years ago and they have turned it into a wonderful oasis, complete with labyrinth.

The first of the group arrives at the bushland setting, they look a bit like Lilliput people next to the towering old Australian gum tree. It was a beautiful day.


After a warm welcome from Linda and her husband we started our morning with a labyrinth walk.  Here is the overview.  It is a classic style built to specific measurements.  A labyrinth has spiritual and meditative properties.  This link to the Labyrinth Society will explain it much better than I can.


The entrance, facing East.


With friend Bernice, ready to walk the labyrinth


And then it's over to the vegetable garden, through this entrance. I love the rooster on the roof and the flowerpot man guarding the entrance.


I loved the veggie garden, growing vegetables being my passion, and I spent the most time there. I'm afraid my photograph doesn't do it justice. It was packed with the most interesting and huge variety of vegetables and herbs. In the foreground is the pink bath with water-loving plants and fish (to keep down the mosquitoes, they eat them).



This is the front of the chicken run (or as we say in Australia "the chook house"). The two brown boxes either side of the painted door are the front of the nesting boxes. Just open the top and remove the lovely new-laid eggs.


We had a shower of rain which took us indoors for a delicious, and adventurous, morning tea. This colourful plate is of nasturtium flowers from Linda's garden, stuffed with cream cheese and fresh herbs. They disappeared in no time.


On the plate with the doily is the bunya nut cake. First time I've tasted bunya nuts and the cake was delicious.  You would have a long wait if you planted a bunya nut tree today. It only starts to crop when it reaches 100 years old, and then it only crops every 2 or 3 years. It's a tree native to Australia, the nut is original "bush tucker" and favoured by indigenous Australians - check out this link for more. It has an interesting history.


Finally, we visited the cottage garden and I found this beautiful Australian native hibiscus tree with the flowers a most delicate pink.


Thank you Linda. We had a wonderful time.

Happy Gardening.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thank you for my visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave such a lovely comment. I do love my allotment I find being there so relaxing even though the hard work that is involved. Linda's home and veg patch and cottage garden looked beautiful and I love her entrance to her hen house :-) Its great to look around other peoples growing spaces and gain more knowledge. I am off to explore your little blog space here now. Best wishes, dee :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dee. Thank you for visiting my new blog. I have enjoyed discovering yours and look forward to following it. I enjoy visiting other people's gardens and community gardens for inspiration, and just for the pure pleasure of it.

      Delete