Sunday, 22 November 2015

Cucumbers …. Bread and Butter Pickles

Sometimes my allotment goes berzerk and I think this is one of those times. The cucumbers are taking over.  I bottled a 2 litre jar of Bread and Butter pickles a couple of days ago. The recipe is here.  They are a tasty addition on a cheese or cold meat sandwich but years ago, during frugal times, the pickles alone were used between (you guessed it) two slices of bread and butter.



I went back to the allotment the next day and picked another five cucumbers, they are presently sitting on the draining board in the glass pyrex dish having been sliced, with onions, and 'brined' in the fridge overnight, ready to bottle this afternoon.




Just went down the allotment again today, and couldn't believe that hiding under the leaves were another 16 beautiful organic cucumbers. I will be going nowhere today until those cuc's are chopped, salted and put in the fridge ready for … you guessed it.  More pickling tomorrow.


Happy Gardening.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a lovely amount of cucumbers ;-) well done mine didn't grow this next year but next year hopefully they will with the use of my greenhouse to come. I have never thought about pickling them but will defiantly be giving that a try next year. Thank you for your lovely comment about my cottage transformations its defiantly a labour of love. I cant seem to follow your blog as there is no follow button but I will keep popping back when I can, Best wishes, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment.
    My understanding is that to follow my blog you insert your email address where it says "follow by email" and then press the "submit" button. Hope that helps. Best wishes. Jean

    ReplyDelete